In this article, we want to show you some useful tips on how to get rid of dry mouth. This is a common problem which happens to many people all over the world, and sometimes you may face with it too. The dry mouth doesn’t affect your life so badly but it is better to stay away from it.
What Is Dry Mouth?
Xerostomia, the medical term of dry mouth, is a sticky and dry condition of your mouth. As you might know, saliva plays an important role in your oral health, it maintains the moisture of the mouth and cleans the dirty things. Therefore, it aids you in protecting your gums and teeth, as well as fights against the bacteria and fungi in your mouth. When there is the shortage of saliva, the dry mouth disease will arise quickly.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
There are a lot of factors that lead to the occurrence of dry mouth. As mentioned above, the key reason is the lack of saliva in your mouth. When it comes to the improper function of the salivary gland, the causes can be aging, tension, dehydration or bad habits associated with using tobaccos products and alcoholic drinks. Besides, the other causes may be a side effect of some diseases and medical treatments such as diabetes, stroke, chemotherapy, muscle relaxants.
What Are the Symptoms of Dry Mouth?
The following is a few popular symptoms of dry mouth that you had better know about it.
- Dry and sticky mouth
- Uncomfortable feeling of your throat and tongue
- Abnormal condition of the tongue like extremely red color
- Chapped lips and stinky breath
- Problem with tasting, swallowing
- Swollen or infected area at the corner of your mouth
Here are some amazing home remedies on how to get rid of dry mouth that you can follow them easily and treat this problem.
Drink More Water
The simplest home remedy for dry mouth is to drink more water. Because dehydration causes dry mouth and its uncomfortable conditions, so you had better keep yourself hydrated. With sufficient water intake, it will help you produce more saliva to moisten and protect your mouth.
How to Apply
- It is recommended that your body needs 2 liters of fluid every day.
- Have some water-based foods and eat more of them such as watermelon, strawberry, cantaloupe…
- Another option is to consume several kinds of smoothies, juices or herbal teas.
It is noted that you should avoid beer, wine or caffeinated drinks which will increase the risk of dry mouth.
Lemon is widely known as an amazing home remedy to get rid of dry mouth. Apparently, lemon will promote the production of saliva and deal with your problem. With the acidic substance in lemon, it is undoubted that lemon has the ability to clean your mouth, ease the swelling and remove the bad breath.
How to apply
- Prepare a lemon, some honey and a cup of water. Get the juice from lemon and add it into the cup with a little honey. Sip this mixture slowly to deal with dry mouth.
- In addition, you also can make lemonade without sugar and consume it daily basis.
The next tip we would like to introduce to you is aloe vera. It is an ideal solution to relieve those symptoms of dry mouth. Thanks to its antiviral and antibacterial properties, aloe vera aid you in reducing the inflammation, stimulating the salivary gland as well. Besides, it is good for your overall health and immune system.
How to apply
- Drink a small cup of aloe vera daily to get rid of dry mouth quickly.
- You are able to clean your mouth with aloe vera juice 2 – 3 times per day.
- Get some aloe vera juice by using a cotton ball, then rub it gently on the dry lips and tongue. Wait for 5 – 10 minutes and wash your mouth with warm water. Repeat this trick several times per day until you feel better.
In addition, aloe vera is wonderful solutions for different problems in your daily life such as How to get rid of termites.
Fennel seed is popular for its ability to stimulate the production of saliva and ease the inflammation gradually. Additionally, its flavor helps you eliminate the bad odor from your mouth.
How to apply
- Chew it during the day to get rid of dry mouth.
- Keep doing this solution until the dry mouth is disappeared.
On the top of remedy list for dry mouth, cardamom seed is outstanding for its benefits. It helps you moisten and clean the mouth, as well as remove the stinky breath.
How to apply
- Like fennel, you can chew some cardamom seeds throughout the day slowly.
- Another way is to grind a few cardamom seeds in order to get the juice, then mix it with some water. Heat the mixture up for 5 minutes and consume it daily basis.
Cayenne pepper is one of the most effective home remedies for dry mouth that you should try at home. Cayenne pepper is beneficial to the saliva production and small buds of your tongue. Plus, it is able to relieve those bad conditions of the dry mouth and promote the recovery process.
How to apply
- Take a little cayenne pepper and rub it all over your tongue.
- Alternatively, you also can add cayenne pepper into your foods to enhance the flavor as well as treat dry mouth.
About the Author:
This article is written by Ashley Bennet, a contributor of AuthorityRemedies. She has worked and trained in the field of Nutrition and Health for over 3 years, consistently providing people with useful information about nutrition as well as helping them with their common health problems.