We can define bone marrow as the soft and spongy tissue which exists inside our bones to make blood corpuscles like white blood corpuscles, Red blood corpuscles, and platelets. Sometimes, bone marrows get damaged due to radiation therapy, chemotherapy and some diseases, like leukemia, sickle cell anemia, aplastic anemia, multiple myeloma etc., the bone marrow transplant is made to replace the unhealthy bone marrow with the healthy bone marrow. This procedure is also known as hematopoietic stem cells transplant.
The need of a Bone Marrow Transplant
There are several needs for making bone marrow transplant and some needs are listed below.
- Damaged bone marrow is replaced using genetically healthy and well-functioned bone marrow to prevent more damage of the bone marrow by the genetically diseases process like Adrenoleukodystrophy and Hurler’s syndrome.
- A bone marrow transplant is done in some specific conditions such as leukemia, sickle cell anemia, and aplastic anemia.
- A bone marrow transplant is made to restore the normal functioning of the bone marrow after applying powerful radiation therapy and chemotherapy for making the treatment of some diseases. This process is familiar as the rescue for the situation like lymphoma and Neuroblastoma.
- A bone marrow transplant is essential for the regeneration of a new immune system to fight off the other cancers cells that are saved from being destroyed by the chemotherapy or radiation therapy and these cells can be applied in the transplantation procedure or used as residual or remaining leukemia.
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant
There are different types of bone marrow transplant procedures which are primarily related to the donor. Bone Marrow Transplant Cost is different according to the types of the bone marrow transplant. Some type of bone marrow transplant treatments is given below.
- When an unrelated donor offers stem cells or bone marrow which is genetically matched, the procedure termed as unrelated bone marrow transplant. This type of bone marrow is available at National bone marrow registry and this procedure is called Unrelated Bone Marrow Transplant.
- A bone marrow transplant is made by the similar genetic type of bone marrow which is taken by apheresis or harvest of bone marrow which is matched genetically with the donor. Generally, a sister or brother is selected as a donor. This method is called Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant.
- When the bone marrow of the donor is matched minimally with the genetic characteristic to the recipient, parents are selected as a donor as a haploid identically matched. This procedure is called Parent Bone Marrow Transplant.
- In this method, bone marrow is collected from the parents by apheresis or harvest of bone marrow. Then, the frozen bone marrow is returned to the recipient. This procedure is named as Rescue or Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant.
- When an infant is delivered, bone marrow is received from the umbilical cord and the reproduction is made by them into active and mature blood cells. This bone marrow is better than bone marrow that is generally taken from other child or adult.
Cost of Bone Marrow Transplant
Bone Marrow Transplant Cost in India is comparatively less than the other nations. In India cost for this procedure can vary between Rs. 15 Lakhs to Rs. 30 Lakhs according to the conditions.
There are so many well-reputed teams of doctors who are available for performing efficient treatment of bone marrow transplant. Many Indian hospitals are also recognized and awarded for excellent performance for the bone marrow transplant.