The twisted bulging veins that mostly develop on legs are called varicose veins. Varicose veins appear on legs when the valves of the significant veins damage and the blood start accumulating inside them. The vein walls and valves are designed to allow only the unidirectional flow of the blood from the body parts towards the heart. However, when these weaken, they lose their functioning. As a result, the probability of blood reflux increases and blood starts accumulating in the veins. This causes the veins to enlarge, and eventually, they become visible as twisted and bulging veins.
Varicose veins are a common vascular condition that mostly arises in the middle-aged people (especially in women). The causes of varicose veins are very closely related to lifestyle and diet. If you are wondering about what leads to these painful bulging veins, let’s further tell you its causes in detail.
Causes of bulging veins (varicose veins)
Although varicose veins can appear on any part of the body, they are most commonly seen in the lower body, especially the legs. This is because the veins in the legs have to work against gravity to push the blood upwards towards the heart. And when valves do not function properly, the veins in the legs are pressurized the most.
A number of factors can contribute to the weakening of the vein valves. The most prominent causes and risk factors for the same include:
- Aging – The risk of varicose veins increases directly with age. This is because as you become older, the wear and tear on your veins increases, and it reduces their functioning over time. Consequently, they cannot regulate the flow of blood optimally, and the blood starts accumulating in the veins.
- Pregnancy – Pregnancy is one of the major causes of varicose veins in women. This happens due to multiple reasons. Firstly, during pregnancy, the hormonal levels in the body change and these cause the smoothening and weakening of vein walls.
In addition to this, the volume of blood produced also increases substantially, while the number of blood vessels remains the same. The body weight of the woman also increases, and this puts extra pressure on the veins in the lower body. All these reasons contribute to the backflow of blood in the legs, and varicose veins develop.
- Being overweight – Obesity and being overweight is another major cause of varicose veins in both men and women. Excess weight pressurizes the veins in the legs even more. As a result, their functioning is affected, and the risk of twisted veins in the legs increases.
- Having a sedentary job – A sedentary lifestyle and a job involving long continuous hours of sitting or standing can also make you more prone to developing varicose veins. This is because when you do not move around your legs for a long time, the blood circulation in the legs gets hindered, and it becomes easier for the blood to accumulate in the veins.
- Genetics and family history – Family history also has a major role to play in the development of varicose veins. Varicose veins can run in the family, and if you have close relative suffering from the condition, your risk of developing them increases. According to studies, if both your parents had the condition of varicose veins, it can increase your chances of the condition by as much as 90%.
Why do you need treatment for varicose veins?
The twisted dark-coloured varicose veins are beyond just a cosmetic issue. These veins keep on deteriorating the entire vascular system if not attended in time. Also, as varicose veins turn more severe with time, there are various complications related to it.
Following complications can develop over time if varicose veins are left untreated:
- Forming of blood clots in the veins
- Bursting of veins
- Hyperpigmentation of the skin surrounding the varicose veins
- Increased chances of skin infections and ulcers
- Inflammation of the veins and the tissues
Most effective treatment for varicose veins
The best and most effective treatment option for twisted varicose veins in the legs is laser treatment. Laser varicose veins surgery cures the problem of varicose veins permanently, that too without any inconvenience or hassles.
In modern laser treatment, no incisions or cuts are required. The surgeon uses pulses of laser energy to block the flow of blood through the damaged veins. When this happens, the blood flow is redirected through healthier veins, and the swollen veins start to collapse. Eventually, the damaged veins fade away, and this resolves the problem.
Laser varicose veins treatment is a non-invasive procedure that involves no stitches, no pain and no bleeding. It leaves behind no scars and restores the aesthetics of the legs without any complications. The surgery is 100% safe and offers a speedy recovery. It is an outpatient procedure, and this means that you can go home on the same day as the procedure. After that, you need to take a few postoperative measures, and you’ll recover completely in a couple of days.
If you are dealing with the symptoms of varicose veins and are looking for permanent relief, you can get in touch with Pristyn Care. They are one of the leading healthcare providers in the country and have an unparalleled track record in treating varicose veins successfully. Moreover, they use USFDA approved techniques which makes the surgery even more reliable. All you need to do is give them a call, and they’ll assist you throughout the entire treatment course.
The Bottom Line
There is nothing significant to panic about varicose veins if you seek a specialist’s advice just in time. Varicose veins are curable, even in severe cases. Early detection of the condition can save you from enduring the discomforts, as well as prevent any severe complications. Therefore, if you notice any symptoms of varicose veins, do not ignore them. Consult an experienced doctor, get a proper diagnosis and then undergo the advanced treatment to say goodbye to varicose veins once and for all.